April 15, 2010

Everything Changes


Shannon & Loretta in 1990

Listen to and/or download the song
---> The Efts - Everything Changes
YouTube version ---> Everything Changes - The Efts

This is my first of hopefully several posts. I wrote this song for Lolo during a time of great financial stress for both of us. At the time I was the owner/operator of a small indie video game store. The store got robbed and we were already deep in debt from trying to start the business. Luckily Lolo was rock solid (as usual).

A year went by and I kind of forgot about this song. I listened to it a few times after I made it but it tended to make me a little sad. Then we met up with our friend Maggie in Morgantown. She heard this song on a mix CD that Dylan made. She said she liked it which kind of blew my mind. People listened to my music? Really? Maggie's influence prompted me to go on a song-writing frenzy over the next few weeks. Not sure if you'll ever read this Maggie, but thanks!!

Lyrics: Everything changes. Don't you change. Everything changes. Please don't change. You got a good bead on life. Won't last forever. All your sunny skies can change to stormy weather. If we have to change at all, let's go together. We won't sink down like a stone. We'll be a feather. Everything changes. Let's not change. Everything changes. We won't change. Rolling with these punches can hurt sometimes. Bad luck comes in bunches, but we'll be fine.

Listen to the song ---> The Efts - Everything Changes (Snowball Re-edit)

A couple years later my friends Dylan and Deanie bought me a Snowball microphone. This has been a real boon for me since the on-board microphone on my laptop was difficult to work around. I re-recorded the vocals in the above version. I really like the quality of the recording although I wasn't quite as melancholy when recording it the second time.

Please leave a comment for The Efts about this song

2 comments: