April 16, 2010

I Remember Intellivision


Braceface in Morgantown, WV 1998

Listen to and/or download the song
---> Braceface - I Remember Intellivision
YouTube version ---> I Remember Intellivision - Braceface

In the mid 1990s I belonged to one of the greatest bands of all time: Braceface. Please keep in mind the name of the band pre-dated the horrible cartoon of the same name. At one time the band included Dylan (drums), Lolo (bass), Tabblet (bass), Thompson (guitar) and me (guitar/vocals). Later it boiled down to just Dylan, Lolo and me. While we had no microphone, I clearly recall screaming the vocals to this song over trashy guitars in Dylan's basement.

A few years after the band broke up I found myself sitting with Lolo in front of a PC while fooling around with Cakewalk's Guitar Pro software. An hour later, we had this song recorded. Lolo played the bass in this one while I sang and played guitars over the software's drum machine. This song is rather unique as it's the only one posted here that was created using mostly live instruments (all except the delightfully lo-fi drum machine). Braceface lives!

Quick notes about the production of this badly recorded song: we rigged our amps with a small digital PC microphone placed strategically in front of the speaker. Lolo played a proper bass line, but my guitar only had (has!) two strings so it's a good thing I added a compressor peddle to fill out the sound.

Lyrics: I remember Intellivision. I remember the A-Team. I remember Daisy Duke and ice cream. I remember being sick when I tried eating those doggie treats. I remember swinging flags and banana seats. When you think back to all those years ago it makes you wonder why all we think about is where we're going when we should be thinking about where we've been. Didn't know about STDs and didn't know about rock and roll. Knew a lot about water fights and digging holes. I remember the Weeble Wobbles and didn't know about fads or trends. Pacman, Metroid and Mario were my best friends.

Please leave a comment for The Efts about this song

2 comments:

  1. We didn't break up!! we just moved on to "work on other projects". I cant wait for the ReUnion tour. Wait, do you have to have broken up to have a ReUnion tour? Ok then, we broke up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. We only broke up for reunification purposes.

    ReplyDelete